How to use VLOOKUP from another sheet in Excel
In Excel, VLOOKUP works even if the data you want to search is on a different sheet.
In this example, we'll find someone's email address based on their ID. The list of employees is in Sheet2:
- Enter =VLOOKUP in cell C3, where you want the Email address to appear.
- Enter the Lookup value C2, which contains the ID (103) you want to look for.
- Enter the Search range Sheet2!B4:D7, which is the data range containing all the ID and Email values in the sheet names Sheet2.
- Enter Column number 3, as the Email column is the 3rd column of the Search range.
- Enter FALSE to look for an exact match.
The final formula is:
=VLOOKUP(C2, Sheet2!B4:D7, 3, FALSE)
VLOOKUP returns the value in C3, which is email@example.com.