How to use VLOOKUP with exact match in Excel
In Excel, VLOOKUP with an exact match (FALSE) returns a result if and only if there is an identical value in the search column.
In this example, we'll find a company name based on someone's email address:
- Enter =VLOOKUP in cell G4, where you want the Company name to appear.
- Enter the Lookup value G3, which contains the Email (firstname.lastname@example.org) you want to look for.
- Enter the Search range B4:D7, the range of data containing all the Email and Company values.
- Enter Column number 3, as the Company column is the 3rd column of the Search range.
- Enter FALSE to look for an exact match.
The final formula is:
=VLOOKUP(G3, B4:D7, 3, FALSE)
VLOOKUP returns the value in G4, which is Rockwell Automation.