How to use VLOOKUP in Google Sheets
In Google Sheets, VLOOKUP is a fast and easy way to find information when the data is organized in columns.
In this example, we'll retrieve an employee's email based on their ID:
- Enter =VLOOKUP in cell G4, where you want the Email address to appear.
- Enter the Lookup value G3, containing the ID (103) you want to look for.
- Enter the Search range B4:D7, the range of data that contains all the ID and Email values.
- Enter Column number 3, as the Email column is the 3rd column of the Search range.
- Enter FALSE to look for an exact match.
The final formula is:
=VLOOKUP(G3, B4:D7, 3, FALSE)
VLOOKUP returns the value in D6, which is firstname.lastname@example.org.