How to use VLOOKUP on an entire column in Excel
In Excel, use the VLOOKUP function with a range automatically applied to an entire column.
In this example, you'll find a list of Company names based on Domain names to which they belong:
- Enter =VLOOKUP in cell E12, where you want the Company names to appear.
- Enter the range D12:D31 as the Lookup value, which contains the list of domains that you want to look for.As the Lookup value is a range, VLOOKUP returns a Company name for each row of the range automatically.
- Enter the Search range B4:C9, the data range containing the Domain and the Company name values.
- Enter Column number 2 as the Company name column is the 2nd column of the Search range.
- Enter FALSE to look for an exact match.
The final formula is:
=VLOOKUP(D12:D31, B4:C9, 2, FALSE)
For each row of the Domain names, VLOOKUP returns the Company names to which they belong.